It’s high time for the Yankees to reverse their own curse. So perhaps it was slightly fortuitous that a tubby nightlife lover wearing No. 3 made an appearance on the Stadium mound last night.
David Wells always fashioned himself a Babe Ruth wanna-be, anyway.
Randy Johnson, making his long-awaited debut in pinstripes, won the matchup of starting pitchers who:
1) Both have thrown perfect games in their careers;
2) Both are lefthanded;
3) Both are from California;
4) Both have spent time as George Steinbrenner’s favorite pet player;
5) Both are 41 years old, and who;
6) Both have absolutely nothing else in common.