1) Ken Griffey Jr. was an early casualty in today’s Reds loss to the Cubs. Darren Daulton, Glenn Hoddle and Jason Lee all concur ; Junior must’ve done something awfully bad in a previous life.
2) 1B Doug Mientkiewicz hit 3rd in the Royals batting order this afternoon (K.C. lost to the Yankees, 12-5). I realize there’s more I could cite to point out just how fucked the Royals well and truly are, but in this case, I don’t think it is necessary.
3) Red Sox CF Coco Crisp, placed on the DL just yesterday, has signed a 3 year, $15.5 million contract extension. Imagine how much he’d have received if he broke his entire hand.
4) Interviewed on SNY just prior to tonight’s Mets/Nationals game at RFK, DC 1B Nick Johnson (above) expressed that it was “good to get a win” when the Nats visited Shea last week. Nitpickers and stat-freaks alike will note the Mets took two of three from the Nationals, though it’s nice that Johnson isn’t dwelling on failure.
5) More injury woes — Tampa’s Aubrey Huff was placed today on the 15 day DL with an injured left knee; Rangers 2B Ian Kinsler is probably headed for the DL after suffering an dislocated left thumb against the Angels last night.