From the Scotsman :

Around 250 people will end up in hospital today after cooking pancakes during Shrove Tuesday celebrations, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents reveals.

More than 200 of those will be children who suffer burns from hot frying pans.

Common accidents include burning fingers on the metal handle of a frying pan and burns caused by badly-flipped pancakes landing on someone™s hand.

Accidents can also be caused by people getting too close to the cooker and setting their clothes alight, and burns from splashes of hot oil.

Each year around 2,700 people in the UK attend hospital for accidents involving a frying pan with fat or oil in it.