From the say it ain’t so dept. of the New York Post and the AP’s Larry Neumesiter.
The mother of four of former NBA star Latrell Sprewell’s children sued him for $200 million Monday, alleging Sprewell broke their long-term cohabitation deal and roughed her up last month in their Westchester County home.
Candace Cabbil brought the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, saying Sprewell recently ended the steady living arrangement that developed after they met in 1989 when both attended the University of Alabama.
The lawsuit says that on Sept. 8, Sprewell broke his promise to share his life, and his fortune, with Cabbil when he entered their Purchase, N.Y., home and announced they needed “to end this fake” relationship.
Sprewell started giving Cabbil less money than usual for household expenses and for their children, ages 3, 7, 8 and 11, and made himself scarce when she tried to find him, the lawsuit says. The lawsuit said Cabbil also was the guardian for a 16-year-old child Sprewell fathered with another woman.
It alleges that, in December, Sprewell entered their home, chased Cabbil around and smacked her hand to prevent her from trying to use a cell phone to call police. Then he allegedly grabbed her and dragged her down a flight of stairs by her feet, causing her physical and emotional injury.
Though there’s nothing funny about the domestic abuse accusations, surely Ms. Cabbill and her attorneys are well aware of just how seriously Mr. Sprewell takes the matter of providing for his children.