From the Dayton Daily News’ Kyle Nagel.
Steve Stewart, who has partnered with Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman in the Cincinnati Reds radio booth for the past three seasons, will not return next season, Stewart said Saturday.
Reds chief operating officer John Allen told Stewart after Friday’s game that his contract would not be renewed after the season, Stewart said.
“My dream job, and now I’m looking for a second dream job, or I will be when the season’s over,” Stewart told reporters in the press box before Saturday’s game.
The Reds hired Stewart in February 2004 to step in for Joe Nuxhall, who stopped broadcasting full-time after 37 years. Stewart previously worked as a broadcaster for the Baltimore Orioles.
“The toughest thing was telling my (7-year-old) son, who’s the world’s biggest Reds fan,” Stewart said. “He asked me, ‘Can we still go to Reds games?’ I said, ‘Sure.’
“He had brain surgery last December. It went fine, but it puts this in perspective.”